My mother’s checking/savings account over $50,000 was without beneficiary/Payable On Death, and therefore, in spite of the estate being less than $250,000, probate was required. Steve Helseth and his team provided seamless legal assistance through the estate process with the county (Douglas) in west-central Minnesota.
We feel absolutely confident referring to Steve Helseth for estate planning. We are impressed with his expertise, his ability to explain difficult choices, and his genuine concern for our engagement in the estate planning process. We have complete confidence in Steve and we are so glad that we decided to work with him.
Practices: Estate Planning & Elder Law, Probate, Guardianship & Conservatorship
Attorney Steve Helseth assists individuals, families, and business owners in the areas of estate planning and elder law, probate, and business succession planning. He works closely with clients to help them accomplish their goals in the most efficient, straightforward manner possible.
Steve’s passion for providing individualized service sets him apart from other attorneys. He listens to his clients to thoroughly understand their goals before providing advice and guidance. In turn, Steve takes the time to make sure his clients understand the details and purpose of all legal documents.
Estate planning and elder law clients trust Steve for assistance with wills, trusts, health care directives, power of attorney, charitable gifting, real estate transfers, elder law services, and protections for the family cabin or business. Discussing options and likely outcomes helps make the process easier for Steve’s clients.
Steve helps clients avoid probate by putting together a solid estate plan. However, for those people who pass away without proper estate planning, Steve helps the family navigate the probate process. Probate can be a difficult experience for families. Steve’s compassion and professionalism help ease those difficulties.
Steve enjoys spending time with his family and friends, and stays active with tennis and golf. He is also involved with several community organizations.
- Hamline University School of Law — St. Paul, Minnesota, J.D., summa cum laude
- Winona State University — Winona, Minnesota, B.A. in Psychology, Minor in Business Administration, summa cum laude
- Anoka County Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Admitted to practice in Minnesota
- eBay’s Dilution Disease Gone Viral: Dilution Offers a Breakthrough Vaccine for Tiffany’s Ailing Trademark, 34 Hamline Law Review 107 (2011)
- The Effectiveness of Interrogations on Psychopaths, Winona State University Psychology Student Journal (2007)
- “Trusts and Estates” — William Mitchell College of Law
- “Understanding Trusts” — Community Education
- “Keeping the Family Cabin” — Community Education
- “Write Your Own Will” — Community Education
- “Write Your Own Health Care Directive” — Community Education
- “Everything You Need to Know About Estate Planning” — Community Education
- Past President, Current Member, of the Blaine Ham Lake Rotary Club
- Director, Lee Carlson Center for Mental Health and Well-Being
- Past Adjunct Professor at William Mitchell College of Law
- President of the Diversified Business Professionals Chapter of BNI
- Volunteer Attorney with Minnesota Wills for Heroes