Car insurance is required by law in Minnesota, North Dakota, and Wisconsin. If you have a car loan, the lender may require you to carry coverage, as well. It is estimated that about one in seven Minnesota drivers does not have the legal minimum auto insurance required. Uninsured drivers put themselves at risk of not only having to pay significant out-of-pocket expenses when involved in a wreck. It also exposes them to fines and penalties, even suspended driving privileges and criminal charges for repeat offenders.

Required Insurance

When you drive in Minnesota you must carry bodily injury, property damage, personal injury protection, uninsured motorist, and underinsured motorist coverage. Your insurance will pay for medical bills related to your injuries, as well as permanent injuries caused by the uninsured driver’s negligence. Many people are initially reluctant to use this insurance coverage, but such claims are covered by your premium, and your insurance company is obligated to respond.

What is Uninsured and Underinsured Coverage?

If you carry all required car insurance, then you will have uninsured motorist and underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM). You also will have liability coverage. Liability coverage will pay for the damage or bodily injury for another person with whom you have a car wreck.

If the uninsured driver you collide with does not have liability coverage, then your UM/UIM coverage will cover your bodily injury. You can also get coverage for property damage in an uninsured motorist policy to cover physical damage to your vehicle, though this is not required by law.

UIM coverage will come into play if the at-fault driver does not have adequate liability coverage to pay for your bodily injuries. Without UIM coverage, you may have to absorb high out-of-pocket expenses personally.

What to Do When Hit by an Uninsured Motorist

When you are involved in any car crash, exchange contact information with the other driver, get pictures of both vehicles, gather any witness statements you can, and obtain a police report. If you must take the uninsured or underinsured driver to court, the evidence you gathered could prove crucial.

You probably have questions and concerns about the best way to proceed if you have been in a car wreck with an uninsured or underinsured driver. Call the car accident & personal injury attorneys of Bolt Hoffer Boyd Law Firm for a free consultation. We offer experienced legal representation and guidance to clients throughout Minnesota, North Dakota, and Wisconsin.